Wednesday 9 November 2011

Like A Peacock

Like a peacock, let us strut our culture, our heritage with pride. 
 "African clothing is the traditional clothing, often vibrantly coloured, worn by the indigenous peoples of Africa. In some instances these traditional garments have been replaced by western clothing introduced by European colonialists.” (whyyyyyyyyyyyy I scream.) Let us take a cue from the Asian culture and wear our Ankara, Guinea Brocade, Lace, Kente, Adire etc to work, to play, to church, to parties, let us splash it all over our houses with pride, for curtains, our cushions, bed sheets because they are beautiful and gorgeous. No one will put Africa on the map except us, the media often paint us in a negative light and this is one area we can stand together, one step at a time I say.  Let us start by embracing what we can truly call our own, let’s express ourselves through our clothing. I wear my African clothing to work with a modern twist; I sew my work shirts with Ankara, complete with cufflinks and embroidery. I dare to be bold and people compliment me all day. Why has curry become a phenomenon now in UK. I will tell you why because the Asians value their culture and they have spread it as the wind carry seeds. Let me ask you a question, when you see an Asian person in his/her traditional attire, do you blink or think it odd, NO! we are so use to seeing them in their beautiful array of clothing that we have subconsciously accepted it, why can’t we Africans do and be the same.

This is my beautiful rant for today, I live to rant another day

2 comments:

  1. Preach it sister. Time is now for us to show not just our culture but to prove that African clothings are the best and thank you for providing an avenue to express my appreciations plus keep the good work going and the flag flying

    ReplyDelete